Monday, March 3, 2014

Spring is Coming!

Yeah, I know we're getting hit with another 10 inches today (depending on which forecast you choose the believe).  So what?  Another day, another snow.  I saw the snowdrops in bloom this weekend, and that is way more interesting than actual snowflakes!

Instead of moaning about the drifts of snow which will cover the drifts of snow from last week, I will describe all the drifts of seed catalogs, and the plans for our garden.  Because we will be preparing the gardens and starting seedlings this month.

In truth, the catalogs have been coming since November.  I recycled dozens in the afternoons before the Husband ever walked in the door to ask, "What's in the mail?"  All so I could say, "Nothing", since the mail had long since been sorted into piles for Country Kitty and family, recycling, keep, and shred, thus sparing me thinking about planting a garden four months away or more.

But, in December, he caught me.  So, the seed catalogs began going into a "save" pile.  I'd let the pile get to six inches before I'd sort the duplicates and recycle them.  (I like recycling!).  On through January...and into February.

Now there is a pile, and when March looms, you know April is close behind, and that is when you plant!  So, last week, the Husband and I found ourselves leaning over the kitchen bar, making non-committal noises as we flipped through various catalogs:  The Cooks Garden, Burpee, Kitchen Garden Seeds, etc. 
ME:  So, what are we planting this year?
HIM:  Well, you posted that corn, bean, squash companion photo online, and it's here in this book. (holds up "Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots")
ME:  (flipping through the "hot" peppers in one catalog) These peppers are lame.
HIM:  (handing me the Territorial Seed Company catalog) Well, look at this catalog.
ME:  Oooooo.  So, what are we planting this year?
HIM:  Well, what do you want to plant?
ME:  Six jalapeno plants was not enough.  I need more.
HIM:  I thought you said those weren't spicy.
ME:  They weren't.  I want to at least double it, but with serranos!
HIM:  Twelve?
ME:  Yeah, I am going through a pint of canned jalepenos in 10 days!  I need at least...maybe 20.  Yeah, 20 hot pepper plants.  That way I can do salsa too.
HIM:  Can we do some mild ones?
ME:  No, those are useless...
HIM:  (pointed look)
ME:  Unless you and the Boy might want to eat them.  Yes!  Let me start a list!

So, we started a list.
YE OLDE OFFICIAL GARDENING LIST:

  • 15-20 hot peppers (Serranos and a few banana)
  • 8+ Romas... or any good sauce tomato
  • 1 Grape tomato... even though I don't keep up with them
  • 1 Early Girl, just because.

ME:  Okay, what else?
HIM:  The corn thing?
ME:  (scribbling down corn, pole beans, squash)  Oh yeah, I totally need to plant butternut squash again.  And double what we did last year!  Oh, and spaghetti squash!
HIM:  Cukes--
ME:  And zukes!  Oh, and peas.  And I want lettuce.  Maybe a salad mix, with kale and beets.  Carrots!  We could try onions again, why not?  Wanna do cabbage?
HIM:  Sure, but---
ME:  Oh, and we have to do the melons again!  Do the Alvaro melon, and canary.  Hmm, what about watermelon?
HIM:  Maybe, do you think---
ME:  The Boy will totally want strawberries.
HIM:  Did you want to buy all these as plants?
ME:  Noooooo!  We have to start these all from seeds!  Well, maybe not the tomatoes.  No, I can do it!  Although, I'm really lazy, and I don't know how many plants we need to start like that.  Hmm, I know Country Kitty left her seedling starters here  somewhere?  Sheesh, but I hate having so many seedlings that I don't use.  Oh, maybe, I could just start the melons directly in the compost heap.  Ha ha, just kidding.  Oh gosh, do you think the Boy will want to do pumpkins again?  Hmmm, is this list too long?  Well, we do have both garden plots this year.  I don't know, what do you think?

By this point, the Husband had wandered off, because his presence was apparently no longer required, as I'd already taken all the catalogs, the pad and the pencil.  Plus, I was doing all the talking.

So, the planning is going beautifully, and wow, we started before March!  We're ahead of the game!  Woohoo!!  Cuz, Spring is coming!

No comments: